The connection and the WIFI signal that you have at home is essential to be connected to the Internet. Navigation with computers, phones and other mobile devices depends mainly on the type of WIFI signal received. Therefore, it is important that you make sure if the signal is good or powerful enough to not have problems in this regard, especially in any emergency. There are homes where the Wi-Fi signal can be very good in some rooms and quite poor in others. The position of the router and the position of the antennas are aspects to take into account in this regard.
To discover how to amplify the Wi-Fi signal so that it reaches all the rooms in your house perfectly, at OneHOWTO we recommend that you continue reading this article.
If you want to know how to have more Wi-Fi at home, you should first know that, although not all routers have antennas, if yours does, it is important to position them well to optimize the Wi-Fi signal throughout the home. Therefore, it is best to place the antennas perpendicular to each other , that is, one vertical and the other horizontal . Also, make sure that the antennas draw a 90-degree angle with each other. In this way, the coverage on your devices will improve and the signal will not be as poor when you move away from the router.
And how to have a good WIFI signal? Well, correctly placing the router device is essential to have a good Wi-Fi signal throughout the house. Therefore, the most logical and recommended thing is to position it in the center of the area you want to cover , since if you place it at one of the extremes, the signal will have too much distance going through many walls to reach the rooms that are in the other end. This results in poor coverage in those rooms.
It is also important to place the router in the area free of obstacles . For this reason, if you put it in the center of the home, but it is surrounded by furniture, pots or pans, or even in a closed room, the WIFI signal will not be optimal. In addition, you should try to place it in a high position : this type of device sends waves downwards, so to make the most of its range, it is advisable to raise it as much as possible.
Update router firmware
To speak of firmware is to think of the program in charge of controlling the electronic circuits of routers and any other device. This is a program that knows perfectly what the function of the device is and checks that it works correctly.
Due to its great importance in the router, it is essential to keep the firmware updated to optimize the WIFI signal. In some cases, it updates automatically, but some models require a manual update. To do it correctly, consult the router’s instruction manual or access the device’s configuration page to find out how to have more Wi-Fi signal. Finally, look for some option to track updates.
Lower saturation channels
Are you wondering how to extend the WIFI signal? Well, you can also extend the router signal or improve the Wi-Fi signal at home by changing the Wi-Fi channel . To achieve this, follow these simple steps:
- Access the device settings page .
- Access the Control Channel option , that is, channel control. This option is used to choose one of the channels for your router to operate. By default, it will be configured to automatically choose the least saturated channel, but this auto mode is not always effective or reliable, so it should be checked.
You should pay special attention to the congestion of the router’s WIFI channels if you live in a neighborhood community, since the WIFI signals from the neighborhood could interfere with your home.
If in addition to this information, you want to know how to choose the best WIFI channel , do not miss this article. Enjoy the Internet without interruptions!
Choose between 2.4 and 5 GHz WIFI bands
The vast majority of current WIFIs have dual-band technology, so the router creates two different types of WIFIs for the bands: 2.4 and 5 GHz.
- The 2.4 GHz band tends to have a slower connection due to more interference. In addition, it has fewer channels, reaching saturation sooner. Are you wondering how to make the WIFI reach further or how to make the WIFI signal reach the whole house? Well, this band is the solution, its great advantage is that it has a greater range than the 5 GHz band , covering more rooms in the home.
- The 5 GHz band is less used and therefore has less interference. It also has more channels that are distributed among the devices connected to the WIFI, thus avoiding saturation. It has a worse range and more difficulties to overcome obstacles, but its connection speed is higher , making the devices connected to it have a better connection.
Taking into account the characteristics of the two Wi-Fi bands, choose the one that interests you the most: if you have good coverage at home, the 5 GHz band is the most optimal for devices that require a high connection speed, although they cannot be far from the router .
WIFI repeaters, PLCs and Mesh networks
WIFI repeaters are an economical alternative to amplify the WIFI signal at home. They are responsible for capturing the signal corresponding to the WIFI network of your home and amplify it so that it has a greater range . This signal amplified by the WIFI repeater is the same as the one sent by the router, keeping the same name and password for the WIFI.
PLCs are the alternative to WIFI repeaters . They are also responsible for expanding the Wi-Fi signal, but in this case they obtain it through electrical wiring. It consists of two devices:
- One plugged in next to the router and connected to the device via the Ethernet cable.
- Another through the electrical connection reached by the repeater, which emits a cloned WIFI signal with the same password and name or a different one depending on your needs.
And the most complete option and also the most expensive is Mesh networks . It is a WIFI network with several components that share name and password.
- It has a router that receives a signal from the operator’s modem.
- It has access points or satellites, these act as WIFI signal amplifiers with the aim of amplifying the signal. For this reason, on many occasions they are also called Wi-Fi amplifiers.
buy a new router
If you are willing to make a significant investment to improve the Wi-Fi signal at home or amplify it, purchase a new third-party router or a neutral router that is capable of improving the service offered by the contracted operator. You should also know that this new router must be connected directly to the one of the operator you have contracted, since the process of replacing the router is quite complex. What do you think of these methods to increase the WIFI signal at home?
If you have carried out all these tricks, none of them work and some questions assail you, we recommend you read this OneHOWTO article on How to know if my WIFI Internet is being stolen . We provide you with all the detailed steps so you can get out of doubt!